Needed to knock up a quick app to deliver Jars and Jads and decided it was time to have a go at Groovy on Grails for real.
Although learning curves can be a bit tiresome, overall the experience has been pretty positive. The things I like so far are:
- Being able to create a domain class and have it create all the relational mapping for me.
- Being able to add fields to this class and have it update the table.
- Creating a controller and have automatic CRUD scaffolding in place so I can see if things look ok.
- Being able to update code and have the context loaded automatically … ace. This is a little flaky sometimes, but that might be my lack of understanding.
- Having the freedom and no typee-ness of Groovy, no static typing is good most times
- Knowing that I can use a lot of stuff I know like the String functions, no massive syntax change
- Knowing it is all Spring, Hibernate and Sitemesh underneath
The other thing that has given me confidence is that SpringSource are now behind the Grails project.
Ooooo it’s all good.